THE SKILLS EXCHANGE: MATCHING CHARITIES WITH SKILLED SPECIALISTS FROM THE TELCO & TECH INDUSTRIES
The Skills Exchange is a series of 'match-making' events that brings together charities and specialists from the telco and tech industries. The initiative’s aim is to pair charities with skilled specialists who can provide short-term pro bono support in order to solve ongoing technical problems.
SERIES ONE: IT &TECH
- Charities are given three minutes to introduce their organisation, and then ‘pitch’ the problem they need assistance with.
- Once all pitches are completed, the 'networking' phase of the event begin. At this point the tech and IT specialists will approach charities they think they might be able to help, to further discuss the charity’s key requirements.
- Interested specialists can then register their interest to assist their chosen charities, and Telco Together will facilitate the introduction.
After The Event
Once a match has been made, IT and tech specialists can provide up to sixteen hours of pro bono support. As specialists will be looking to use their time to maximum effect, both parties may decide that a short consultation is sufficient to provide enough direction and guidance to resolve the issue at hand.
Alternatively, in the instance where the challenge may be more complex, an agreement will be made between both parties in terms of the additional time commitment required.
Examples of IT & tech issues
- Delivering online services
- Managing donors through CRM's
- Consolidating information & communications technology systems
- Facilitating a mobile workforce
- Training for software and online applications
Expressions Of Interest In The Skills Exchange Events 2017
We are seeking expressions of interest from both charities and skilled specialists to take part in events in Melbourne, Sydney and other cities.
About The Skills Exchange
The Skills Exchange provides an opportunity for Australian charities and skilled specialists from the telecommunications industry to come together to problem solve issues of deep interest to both organisations.
The Skills Exchange initiative was developed in response to the key findings of Telco Together’s Charity Insights Research survey, undertaken in 2015. This study was undertaken in order to understand the common issues and challenges faced by Australian charities. The results of the survey have since been analysed and ranked into common areas, with the area of Information & Communications Technology recognised as a common area where specialist help is often needed.
Through The Skills Exchange initiative, Telco Together will explore various topics highlighted by the research, encouraging charities and telecommunications staff to share ideas, skills and problem solve for the greater good.
Telco Together’s aim is to assist both charities and the telecommunications and tech industries in achieving greater social outcomes by creating a structured mechanism that can:
- assist charities to access intelligence, experience and information to help them problem solve;
- provide opportunities for people within the telecommunications and tech sectors to meaningfully contribute their talent, skills or networks to achieve social change;
- provide a basis for short and long term partnerships and networks through the exchange of information, insights and problems.
Read about the Melbourne Skills Exchange event.